PirateCraft Roadmap to Minecraft 1.13-1.15
June 8, 2018 at 7:40 pm #58407
Update 10 Dec 2019
Mojang drops 1.15 today, stay tuned for news from the server side!
What happened to 1.13-1.14?
1.13 and 1.14 forced every singe plugin to need to update, we have some legacy plugins that will require completely replacing (Still).
Believe it or not we have 83 plugins, and its down to the last thing to move to 1.13+ Autoranking, which is actually 4 plugins to make this work, I have found a solution but that solution comes with bugs & an issue with migrating, i’m still waiting for the developer to recognise a very basic bug he hasn’t recognised yet.
The other major issue with 1.13 and 1.14 was the massive negative impact to server performance to running a server, back on our old host the server just wouldn’t have been able to handle 1.13+, I have since moved the entire server to a new dedicated machine (No small feat) so we have more power now to be ready to move.
1.14 still have absolutely terrible performance, Mojang rushed this update and broke Rendering chunks, AI and Pillaging, there are plugins to solve these but the performance is still about 75% more than 1.12.2.
Our biggest issue was waiting for a version of the ships plugin to be ready for 1.13+ this was a massive feat accomplished by Eirikh1996 (thank you so much big man!)
1.15 is suppose to fix server performance, if this is true we will try and go through the 1.13->1.15 progress as soon as we have a solution for auto ranking (the last hurdle!)
There is no ETA, so don’t ask.
Those of you that know me, you know I don’t do wipes, I don’t do resetting data, we have another issue with moving stats/autoranking data, those stats. The new ranking system I found uses the data in the world folder, the issue with this is that the absolute geniuses at mojang forgot to add a stats converter from 1.7.10-1.8 which means all world stats before 1.8 were lost, Luckily I do have my own stats plugin that records data to a database, but this is dead in 1.13+ so I will have to try and write a script to save this to the flatfile the world stores it in, hence my recent poll to see how many people played before 1.8 that are still here! (Amazing if you are!)
We will have to convert to 1.13 first as the entire world has to “upgrade” so the process will most likely be to temporarily move to 1.13 then to 1.15 (If this is possible).
I will do a test server and notify once this happens.
This is all dependant on if Mojang fixed the server performance in 1.15, then if I can get the bugs fixed in this new autoranking system which I haven’t even tested yet!
I have been in contact with the existing stats/auto ranking devs, but they haven’t given any way to get the data over, or have the plugins work with each other, absolute shambles.
Thats a roundup, best to keep the server stable (not crashing) with a solid 20tps at all times for smooth gameplay than add some basic features, it will just mean we have 3 updates of features all together!
I won’t move until I’m happy.
Right, sadly for me its that time again where Mojang releases server breaking updates. 1.13 is right around the corner and its a massive update in back-end changes, they have re-named things, changed structures and made some core files data completely different.
I can tell you now, this is going to break a LOT of our plugins and we currently have 71.
My biggest worry is we are using some super Legacy plugins that haven’t been updated in over 3 years, depending on how spigot handles some of these massive changes to data structure will depend on if we loose 1/2 of our plugins.
Mojang just released the pre-release for 1.13, which means the final global release is coming soon. https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/minecraft-113-pre-release?ref=launcher
As always with updates like this, for those of you that have seen these awful times before you will know the process.
For those that do not understand how this works, you *CAN NOT* “Just update to 1.13”.
The waiting process before we can even start testing 1.13:
- First of all, the main Spigot server software isn’t even near ready as just a vanilla minecraft server! They have a lot of open issues https://github.com/SpigotMC/SpigotCraft/issues
- Once the Spigot server software is close to being stable, we need to wait for our optimized server software to be updated, I use a very optimized version of the server software, this software relies on Spigot to be ready first.
- We then start testing our 71 plugins, this is where the real trouble comes in, this is where things will break, I don’t have high hopes.
The way testing works, will be, I will make a complete server backup to the test server, so we have 2 identical servers, and people will test all aspects of PirateCraft on the test server over the course of a week or two to see if we can find any broken aspects or dupe issues.
- Once testing is complete we go live with 1.13.
While we wait for everything to catch up we will stay exactly as we are on 1.12.2.
- I will hopefully be able to use a protocol hack plugin to allow 1.13 clients to connect to the 1.12.2 server, none of the 1.13 features will be available obviously.
This is a time consuming process and may take multiple months, there is no ETA, Do not ask when it will be done, if people do ask, then send them this thread.
If spigot have put in place Legacy functions to cover older plugins everything will go much smoother, it entirely depends how they are deciding to deal with these changes, that’s why we test first.
- DO NOT ask about land re-generation for new terrain, we are nowhere even close to that, we decide on that when we are live.
- Will you expand the border? No, We will regenerate parts of the world and maybe add new worlds for exploration.
- “what are you going to do about XYZ feature that’s going to be introduced in 1.13”, No idea we haven’t talked about any of the 1.13 features, do you have worries about a certain feature that may affect gameplay badly? Then post it in here. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT ask how you will obtain a certain item. This isn’t a forum to request ways to get personal items from 1.13.
17+July 19, 2018 at 9:23 am #58674
- This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by GodsDead.
- This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by GodsDead.
Well looks like today is the day of doom https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/update-aquatic-out-java
2 days before the British summer holidays start, good timing Mojang! (plebs).
For my sanity, and so I dont tear off heads, for all the annoying peolpe that spam “can u update teh server!!!” can you please direct them to this thread, if needed I will create a custom command to tell them why its going to take months.
1.13 Update news:
- The server software isn’t even close to ready! Spigot had its first 1.13 pre-release only 4 days ago so developers could start to see the mammoth changes, theres a lot of background stuff you dont see thats changed.
- There are still a ton of game-breaking bugs that crash the client or kill you randomly with their 1.13 server https://github.com/SpigotMC/SpigotCraft/issues
- The plugin I use to allow newer clients to connect to the older server software is out! But there are some known major bugs with it, so im going to wait a week to see if they can be fixed first. Expect me to test it very soon to get those 1.13 clients connecting to 1.12, the downfall is it will break some plugins, Like anti-cheat. Rip.
- People really struggle to understand the amount of backend changes that have happened. This is the biggest minecraft update in history. So much has changed in the backend, all server software and plugins have to adapt. Let alone for our own specific setup. We will be loosing plugins.
- There are so many known issues at present, its not even worth testing yet, we will stay on a stable release as long as we can, my plan will be to add the client hack plugin to allow 1.13 clients connect to 1.12.2 server once its fixed up a bit.
For now just backdate your client to be 1.12.2.
6+July 19, 2018 at 7:33 pm #58677CysteenMember
- This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by GodsDead.
- Topics: 13
- Replies: 421
- Total: 434
on top of all this mess, 1.13 still has its own bugs that weren’t fixed in the 10 pre releases ._.
we know youre doing your best gods. if you need help testing shiz, poke my discord 😛
If I had a nickel for every time I, Ooo hey, a butterfly!! *runs off chasing the butterfly*
- Former Leader of CoV -
- A Proud Member of The Asylum-5+July 19, 2018 at 10:37 pm #58678
on top of all this mess, 1.13 still has its own bugs that weren’t fixed in the 10 pre releases ._. we know youre doing your best gods. if you need help testing shiz, poke my discord 😛
I feel special, I was chatting to the guy that writes all the main change-logs for minecraft, he writes them as comments on reddit, so its impossible to follow it all. I asked him to create a wiki page for the whole lot and he did for me! So this page isn’t just for my eyes only, here is the best Minecraft 1.13 changelog there is:3+July 20, 2018 at 2:18 am #58681BazurkaModerator
- Topics: 33
- Replies: 321
- Total: 354
imho, there is no rush. Take your time and -in advance- thank you for the work you put into this !
Also, thanks for the wiki link :
This got my attention : “Fixed being unable to turn around fully in fullscreen on Linux”
Wohoo ! Fullscreen here I come ….
Proud Member of the British Empire4+July 22, 2018 at 6:43 pm #58693
Spigot released a 1.13 build labelled with “Extreme caution” aka irreversible damage to worlds, they have outlined a 3 step process for when it would be a good time to test. So just keeping an eye on the Spigot news will give us a time-frame to when we can start testing.0July 26, 2018 at 11:11 pm #58717September 6, 2018 at 12:58 pm #59313
I am keeping on top of this, its still just a massive waiting game.
- GriefPrevention our Claims plugin, only updated an alpha today for 1.13, its still full of bugs.
- The actual server software still cant convert existing worlds to the new 1.13, so the main server software isn’t even stable enough to load the world.
- About 20% of our plugins have been updated to 1.13, as far as “core” plugins needed to get the basic server up to 1.13 were still missing Moving ships, Our shop plugin (Making the signs and chests part) Brewing, Cannons, Stats therefor ranking.
Not even ready for testing yet.1+December 10, 2019 at 2:49 pm #64318February 6, 2020 at 4:51 pm #64913
Mojang announced 1.16 snapshot today, research and discussion has happened in our #general channel on discord.
I got stuck yet again trying to move from our stats/autoranking plugin to get us on 1.13+, half way testing I noticed that BlocksPlaced is not supported with the new ranking system reee! The developer is avoiding me, been waiting on him for months.1+February 7, 2020 at 3:59 am #64920jettyMember
- Topics: 2
- Replies: 9
- Total: 11
Always love to hear the updates! thank you for putting some fricken hard work into the server. I will always continue to donate and I hope it helps and keeps you going strong. thank you thank you thank you much love
seen it all, ive been here since 06/06/20140
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Fourm support stats
No statisitcs available.
- January 2020 Build of the Month Winners
- Website Changelog January 2020
- Testing Changelogs January 2020
- Creative Changelog January 2020
- Survival Changelogs January 2020
Subscribe to Changelogs via Email
Recent forum topic replies
2 hours, 33 minutes ago
Request to remove another small claim
6 hours, 27 minutes ago
Lower the rent?
6 hours, 32 minutes ago
Request to remove small claim
6 hours, 33 minutes ago
My unban request
6 hours, 34 minutes ago
- Request to remove another small claim by BassQueen808
- Request to remove small claim by BassQueen808
- My unban request by Caleb
- I can’t make an unban appeal for some reason by Caleb
- Lower the rent? by Gores
Join the PirateCraft Discord server! discord.piratemc.com
active 21 hours, 41 minutes ago
active 21 hours, 44 minutes ago
active 2 days, 23 hours ago
active 3 days, 15 hours ago
active 6 days, 20 hours ago