PirateCraft Roadmap to Minecraft 1.13.
June 8, 2018 at 7:40 pm #58407
Right, sadly for me its that time again where Mojang releases server breaking updates. 1.13 is right around the corner and its a massive update in back-end changes, they have re-named things, changed structures and made some core files data completely different.
I can tell you now, this is going to break a LOT of our plugins and we currently have 71.
My biggest worry is we are using some super Legacy plugins that haven’t been updated in over 3 years, depending on how spigot handles some of these massive changes to data structure will depend on if we loose 1/2 of our plugins.
Mojang just released the pre-release for 1.13, which means the final global release is coming soon. https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/minecraft-113-pre-release?ref=launcher
As always with updates like this, for those of you that have seen these awful times before you will know the process.
For those that do not understand how this works, you *CAN NOT* “Just update to 1.13”.
The waiting process before we can even start testing 1.13:
- First of all, the main Spigot server software isn’t even near ready as just a vanilla minecraft server! They have a lot of open issues https://github.com/SpigotMC/SpigotCraft/issues
- Once the Spigot server software is close to being stable, we need to wait for our optimized server software to be updated, I use a very optimized version of the server software, this software relies on Spigot to be ready first.
- We then start testing our 71 plugins, this is where the real trouble comes in, this is where things will break, I don’t have high hopes.
The way testing works, will be, I will make a complete server backup to the test server, so we have 2 identical servers, and people will test all aspects of PirateCraft on the test server over the course of a week or two to see if we can find any broken aspects or dupe issues.
- Once testing is complete we go live with 1.13.
While we wait for everything to catch up we will stay exactly as we are on 1.12.2.
- I will hopefully be able to use a protocol hack plugin to allow 1.13 clients to connect to the 1.12.2 server, none of the 1.13 features will be available obviously.
This is a time consuming process and may take multiple months, there is no ETA, Do not ask when it will be done, if people do ask, then send them this thread.
If spigot have put in place Legacy functions to cover older plugins everything will go much smoother, it entirely depends how they are deciding to deal with these changes, that’s why we test first.
- DO NOT ask about land re-generation for new terrain, we are nowhere even close to that, we decide on that when we are live.
- Will you expand the border? No, We will regenerate parts of the world and maybe add new worlds for exploration.
- “what are you going to do about XYZ feature that’s going to be introduced in 1.13”, No idea we haven’t talked about any of the 1.13 features, do you have worries about a certain feature that may affect gameplay badly? Then post it in here. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT ask how you will obtain a certain item. This isn’t a forum to request ways to get personal items from 1.13.
You need to login in order to like this post: click hereJuly 19, 2018 at 9:23 am #58674
Well looks like today is the day of doom https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/update-aquatic-out-java
2 days before the British summer holidays start, good timing Mojang! (plebs).
For my sanity, and so I dont tear off heads, for all the annoying peolpe that spam “can u update teh server!!!” can you please direct them to this thread, if needed I will create a custom command to tell them why its going to take months.
1.13 Update news:
- The server software isn’t even close to ready! Spigot had its first 1.13 pre-release only 4 days ago so developers could start to see the mammoth changes, theres a lot of background stuff you dont see thats changed.
- There are still a ton of game-breaking bugs that crash the client or kill you randomly with their 1.13 server https://github.com/SpigotMC/SpigotCraft/issues
- The plugin I use to allow newer clients to connect to the older server software is out! But there are some known major bugs with it, so im going to wait a week to see if they can be fixed first. Expect me to test it very soon to get those 1.13 clients connecting to 1.12, the downfall is it will break some plugins, Like anti-cheat. Rip.
- People really struggle to understand the amount of backend changes that have happened. This is the biggest minecraft update in history. So much has changed in the backend, all server software and plugins have to adapt. Let alone for our own specific setup. We will be loosing plugins.
- There are so many known issues at present, its not even worth testing yet, we will stay on a stable release as long as we can, my plan will be to add the client hack plugin to allow 1.13 clients connect to 1.12.2 server once its fixed up a bit.
For now just backdate your client to be 1.12.2.
- This reply was modified 1 month ago by GodsDead.
You need to login in order to like this post: click hereJuly 19, 2018 at 7:33 pm #58677
- Topics: 9
- Replies: 342
- Total: 351
on top of all this mess, 1.13 still has its own bugs that weren’t fixed in the 10 pre releases ._.
we know youre doing your best gods. if you need help testing shiz, poke my discord 😛
If I had a nickel for every time I, Ooo hey, a butterfly!! *runs off chasing the butterfly*
- Former Leader of CoV -
- A Proud Member of The Asylum-
You need to login in order to like this post: click hereJuly 19, 2018 at 10:37 pm #58678
on top of all this mess, 1.13 still has its own bugs that weren’t fixed in the 10 pre releases ._. we know youre doing your best gods. if you need help testing shiz, poke my discord 😛
I feel special, I was chatting to the guy that writes all the main change-logs for minecraft, he writes them as comments on reddit, so its impossible to follow it all. I asked him to create a wiki page for the whole lot and he did for me! So this page isn’t just for my eyes only, here is the best Minecraft 1.13 changelog there is:
You need to login in order to like this post: click hereJuly 20, 2018 at 2:18 am #58681
- Topics: 24
- Replies: 222
- Total: 246
imho, there is no rush. Take your time and -in advance- thank you for the work you put into this !
Also, thanks for the wiki link :
This got my attention : “Fixed being unable to turn around fully in fullscreen on Linux”
Wohoo ! Fullscreen here I come ….
Proud Member of the British Empire
You need to login in order to like this post: click hereJuly 22, 2018 at 6:43 pm #58693
Spigot released a 1.13 build labelled with “Extreme caution” aka irreversible damage to worlds, they have outlined a 3 step process for when it would be a good time to test. So just keeping an eye on the Spigot news will give us a time-frame to when we can start testing.
You need to login in order to like this post: click hereJuly 26, 2018 at 11:11 pm #58717
test.piratemc.com now has the protocol hack to allow 1.13 clients to connect to the 1.12 server, get testing to make sure there are no major issues, quicker this happens the quicker I can push live.
You need to login in order to like this post: click here
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.